Tuesday, June 7, 2011

CJ, 5/21 Inferno & 5/27 Mr. Roberts

My how I am slacking my duties of self-documentation. I completely forgot to document the last two shows.

They are probably best taken as a pair anyway...they are the tale of two shows...it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

5/21 at the Inferno headlining with openers Knuckeldrager and Foxy Veronica's Peach Pies plus lots of naked art at an event called "Filth III". At this point there isn't really much to say that hasn't already been said too many times. The show did not run on time. We went on at 1:40am and despite being allowed to play until 2:15, had our set cut many songs short. It was kind of an unpleasant night that shook our faith in humanity. But, we got paid well. (EDIT: My amp was distorting for the show despite its new speaker...think it may just not be powerful enough for the venues we play. I had it DI'ed to audience, but on stage sound was poor. I had nothing to drink at this show.)

5/27 at Mr. Roberts opening for Dead Beat Club and Archie Powell. We went on at the right time. We played our whole set. We played "Hey" on request and pulled it off as well as we ever have. The crowd was awesome. We had a good time. Our faity in humanity was restored. But, we got pretty much stiffed on payout. (EDIT: see post about awesome Ampeg BA600 amp I borrowed for this gig. My bass sound was great on stage and I assume in audience...Mr. Roberts does not have a DI for bass or mic amps...so it was just on the power of the amp. I had, I think, one beer before and one beer during this show. I had drank earlier in the day too.)

Compare, contrast. Whadda ya gonna do...that's rock and roll in the gritty city. For my part I played pretty well at both shows...though better at Mr Roberts....based solely on the fact that I was exhausted by the time we hit the stage at Inferno and was making dumb brain mistakes.

Here's us at the Inferno playing Dead way better than I thought we did at the time. Something about waiting to play for hours and hours and staying up way too late just blows your brain up:


Setlists:

Filth 5/20/11 at Inferno
Debaser
Broken Face
Holiday Song
Bone Machine
Break My Body
Subbacultcha
I Bleed
Cactus
Is She Weird
Dead
I've Been Tired
Levitate Me
Gigantic
No 13 Baby
Hey
La La Love You
(we were cut off after La La Love You...but rest of planned set as follows)
Vamos
Nimrod's Son
Gouge Away
Tame

Mr Roberts 5/27/2011
Wave of Mutilation
Mr. Grieves
Isla de Encanta
Bone Machine
Trompe Le Monde
Is She Weird
Ed is Dead
Here Comes Your Man
Gigantic
River Euphrates
Debaser
Tame
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Manta Ray
Head On
Gouge Away
Nimrod's Son
Where Is My Mind
(planned encore was Vamos, but Hey was requested so we played Hey instead)

No comments:

Post a Comment