Wednesday, June 1, 2011

General Status

So a couple of things have happened recently of note.

1. I kind of had a breakdown
I've been feeling really overwhelmed lately, and in particular feeling like my drum skills are on a slippery slope downward. I find it hard to force myself to practice tunes for the three groups that I drum for...and the more I avoid doing that the worse my skills get. My general skill and endurance has really been on the decline. And stuff that I used to be able to play with no problem is now really tough. Motivation is hard...but I really want to push through to getting in more alone practice time...both of the songs themselves and of basic skills.

2. I bought a practice kit
I've been thinking about doing this for a long time but it never seemed worth the expense. But in part because of #1 above, I was feeling like the time that I spend away from the kit is far too much. So I decided I needed a kit that could pretty much go with me everywhere. And that "everywhere" is pretty much to my girlfriend's basement and to my couch in front of the tv. I thought at first that I'd leave it in the girlfriend's basement...but as soon as I got it and set it up while watching tv at my house I could see where it's main home will be...in front of the tv. Not only is it super easy to go through instructional dvds like this...it makes it easier to just do exercises while "resting".

3. I wrote out a practice regime
For in front of the tv. I made up an exercise sheet that is essentially the same pattern of opening hi hats (on 1...repeat measure 4 times...then next measure on + of 1...on through all the possible combinations) with 2/4 snare and 4 on floor bass ...then with 1/3 bass...then with 1+/3+ bass...then with +1/+3 bass. The purpose of this is to 1) improve strength of my left foot 2) improve independence and 3) get to a place where I can play all those Clem Burke disco patterns. And then running single stroke rolls with right and left lead...and double stroke rolls with right and left lead...from 80 bpm to failure...on snare. Hopefully once I build those skills I can start running the singles and doubles around the kit. My ability to do rolls around the kit has always sucked and my left hand is really weak...I'm hoping this will improve all that. I haven't timed it yet, but my intention is for this to be a 10-15 minute exercise for all of it. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment