Monday, June 20, 2011

TD, 6/17/2011, Wisco

We played first in support of The Skintones and The Binmen. I used my black kit. I didn't drink at all. I had a decent dinner and but stayed up too late the night before (and had a gig the night before...see this post).

I found myself over-thinking this performance. The drums sounded weird to me and my mind was racing during songs. I was having trouble relaxing. I screwed up lots of things...but mostly the second fill on Gun In Your Grave (I need to nail this down. I've been trying to ad lib it each time and that really isn't working) and the bass drum on HSUL. Easy Life didn't go well either. I can't tell if I was just very sober or tired from the night before. I had the same problem with HSUL at the dress rehearsal. This was the first time we've played it last, so on Sunday I tested myself. I played it first thing at start of a practice session, and then again after having played for a few hours. Similiar results. It was close to perfect at start of rehearsal and a real struggle at the end. I found that if I slowed it down (like to the speed on the recording) I could play it at the end of practice.

I left right after load out. Several folks said it was their first time seeing me with TD. I wish I had played better...but really I'm not sure what more I can do but practice and eat well, rest, and stay sober. Maybe find a way to relax before the show...meditate or something. Definitely playing two gigs two late nights in a row is not ideal.

Setlist:
At the Door
Gotta Tell U
Jack
Easy Life
Going Down the Drain
It's Alright
Sent It
Gun In Your Grave
Better N Better
One is for Man
Movin' On
Haven't Seen You Lately

No comments:

Post a Comment