Monday, June 20, 2011

SSW, 6/16/2011, WORT

We played for Psychoacoustics' pledge drive. They posted our set list on Facebook and people could call in and request that we play songs. They set us up in the WORT vinyl library with 40,000 records surrounding us and a very nice sound engineer. The setup was weird...vocals were monitored via headsets and the rest was just live to the room. Very diorientating. My drums sounded weird (note here that my drums sounded weird the next night too...but I tried tuning them at home on Saturday and everything seemed great. I think the carpeted nature of my house produces a warmer sound than in other kinds of settings. Very hard to compensate for. It's worth saying that the drums sounded fine on the recording of the WORT gig).

I had plenty of sleep and ate well. Had three beers before the show, none during, and four after. This after a full week of nothing to drink at all. My playing was okay. The band had not rehearsed in three weeks and some of these tunes we haven't played very often over the last many months. I found myself forgetting some parts. Strangely my body would take over and play the right rhythm, but not always on the correct drums or with the correct sticking. Most of these songs I don't "practice" on my own anymore unless they are giving me trouble. So it is interesting to see what my brain does with things that I have played for a long time and know well, but that I'm not actively working on. It gives me a glimpse of the future of CJ and the 50-something songs that I have memorized for that band, but can't possibly actively practice every week anymore.

There is a recording of this show...but I'm having trouble extracting it from I-tunes. It will live online only for a week, so I'm not posting the link here. Hopefully I can back fill with the recording later. Note that songs with no curse words were played 9:30-10:00pm and those with curses 10:00-10:30pm.

Incendentally they made their pledge goal and brought in $666.

Setlist. Ah the setlist. We didn't have one. But here's what I THINK we ended up playing:
Helicopter
New Rose
Two Pints of Lager
Don't Give Me No Lip Child
I Hate the Rich
Teenaged Kicks
Boscobel Breakout
Suspect Device
Fucked Up and Wasted
Too Drunk to Fuck
I Am a Cliche
We Are the Ones

No comments:

Post a Comment