Monday, April 23, 2012

Favorite Songs

I have a list of my favorite albums (though grossly out of date) but I don't think I've ever made a list of my favorite songs. Too hard maybe? Well it occurred to me that it might just be worth doing. the problem is that many of my favorite songs I forget exist until I hear them on the radio. And I often don't know the name of the song or the artist.

Case in point...The Weight by The Band. So this song is on the list, but I only learned the title and band in recent years.

Hmmm...what else?

Well #1 is and always has been Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners.  Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison USED to be on the list...but no more. Played out for me. Still on the list is likely Lay Down Sally by Eric Clapton. Groove is in the Heart by Deelite. After that I'm stumped a little bit. There's a whole bunch from the 70s that I'm just not sure about the title and artist...and that don't come to mind even. And there's probably a pile from the late 80s early 90s. It's a moving target I suspect for sure. And I don't feel like including songs on albums I love is valid somehow. Once I've got an album and play it a bunch...well the songs take on their own life as part of an album. It's a different thing than a favorite song.

I spend a bunch of time on FB...and here too I guess...talking about the Pixies. So probably anyone who knows me from FB would expect me to list a bunch of Pixies songs on my list of favorite tunes. But I'd almost have to exclude them entirely from contention. Pixies is a whole other thing. All 89 songs they recorded got dumped in my lap one day two years ago and from moment one until right now I was dissecting them and listening to them on non-stop repeat. I have no way to objectively judge how I feel about them against other songs. I have no way to say if I like or don't like them. If they are good or not. They are completely and totally loved from start to finish...in the way that you unconditionally love a child whether or not you would love that person if you met them on the street as a stranger. They are "a project"...they aren't an organic development of my life at all. They have grown into an appendage of mine...an entire section of my brain devoted to every note. They are a giant asterisk in my musical taste. *OTHER

Yeah...tricky. But maybe I'll start dumping my favorite songs of all time here as I think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment