Friday, April 13, 2012

Pixies Drums: The Toughies

As I've mentioned before, I feel compelled to now learn how to play all the Pixies songs on drums too.

There's a whole pile of..."well that's just the natural way I'd play that"...songs that really need not even be "learned". They just happen.

There are tougher ones though...at least for me. the ones that spring to mind right away as harder are:
Tame
I Bleed
Trompe le Monde
Hey

Tame is clever as hell and bravo to David. It's actually not that hard, but it takes a bit to get. He switches between one and two hand on hi hat. Here's a guy pulling it off reasonably well:


I've spent some good time with I Bleed over the last few weeks. The pattern is super simple...just not one I'm used to. Two handed hi hat to snare like a funk thing. I'm getting it though. Here's David intermittently:


The thing about Trompe le Monde is the tom rolls to the snare. I'm just not used to them. Once I get them they will seem easy. Not the best video to see the drums (even more intermittent than normal)...but the only one I can find.


Hey is all about timing. There's this funny middle section with sparse drums. I listened to it this morning really carefully. He does a funny thing where he enters on and of beat 4...then on beat 4...and then on and of beat 3. So the part shifts half a beat each time. Again...just really nice arranging/orchestration. Here's the guy from Tame trying again with Hey:


Here's more from that guy who did Tame and Hey...bass covers too. Here's a bonus...Bone Machine. It didn't make my hard list only because I've got the hang of it now, but it is definitely a counter-intuitive drum song. The beat has the perception of being flipped.

1 comment:

  1. how about the intro fill before the vocals in 'here comes your man', i know its only beat 2 but it catches me out

    ReplyDelete