Tuesday, March 6, 2012

More to the Pixies Than Just Bass...and What It All Means

So it was kind of only a matter of time. As we head towards the point in time when I'll have learned all the Pixies songs on the bass that there is to learn...well then there's the drums. I've goofed with the drum parts off and on since the start, but I find myself more and more curious about them. Recently I realized that the modern era videos are really good for catching David. He's sitting right behind Frank...and so you see him a bunch. And Kim tends to stand close to him when she's not singing too. I suspect that David has modified many of the drum parts for many of the songs in the modern era...tending towards easier. Part of that is him relearning them 20 years after the fact and after having not drummed much in that time...but part of it is also probably just maturity. Your goals as a drummer in a new band in your 20s are different than your goals as you approach 50. You get over proving yourself and head towards serving the songs better and just trying not to hurt yourself. It's also true that they just don't play the complicated songs as much anymore. I don't know if that's because they are harder, less popular, or just bring up too much of the negative feelings of the latter part of their career.

Anyway...it's interesting because when we started this project I kind of thought David's drum parts were really hard. I was glad that it hadn't been me that had been asked to play them. Now though...sure there are more complicated ones...but on the whole they are relatively basic. They are within reach with analysis and practice. And that makes me want to learn them. Now what is interesting is...I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about David's drumming. He isn't an iconic drummer the way many are...he is mostly a sideman in a band dominated by other stronger personalities. But he's no slouch either. The best compliment you can give him perhaps is that he doesn't take away from the music. He makes the right choices. And for that reason, he kind of fades into the background.

The reason I mention this is because I'm always feeling so lame about my own drum abilities...but I could do a hell of a lot worse than to get as good as a David Lovering. And in a way he's kind of a middle of the road work-a-day drummer. He's not doing anything crazy...he's just playing pop-rock music.

The same could probably be said of Kim Deal's bass parts. They aren't hard...and that's actually a good thing. They are simple in just the right way.

I was listening to this week's drum assignment on Afrocuban music. It seems totally out of reach. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't...but I was thinking that in order to get good at it (or be able to do it at all really) that I'd need to listen to the music a lot to get the feel. And I really don't want to listen to it. I never have. It doesn't interest me. It's too busy...it gives me a headache. But the Pixies I've listened to hundreds of times...more than that? Nearly every day for 2 years. And itt doesn't get old.

I feel guilty that I'm not advancing or trying harder on these tough drum things. But two years ago playing like David Lovering felt like an impossible task. Today I can see it happening. And why aren't those kinds of goals plenty to attain? I don't want to listen to Latin or Afrocuban or Jazz or Metal or Prog...I want to listen to Pixies. And other alt-pop-rock stuff. I want a 2/4 backbeat and a nice melody with just a little something quirky thrown in for good measure. If that's what I want to listen to...why would I want to play anything different...or need to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment