Monday, March 5, 2012

Acoustic Bass Obsession Done, Bring Me a New Obsession

Bought the Breedlove after much hand wringing. Got it for a cool $345...and went online and bought a gig bag for another $25. The action is a hair high...but it doesn't buzz and the action only causes minor hand fatigue. I played the entire Pixies Newport set on it and didn't die. The bronze strings (the guy said that makes the tone brighter/louder) were a little hard on my hands, but I didn't quite form a blister. It sounds ok...better through the amp than not...but ok either way. I really liked that there were two strap buttons...it makes playing it standing up much easier (having to run the strap to the nut just didn't work well on the Dean...the strap has to be too crazy long to do that and it really creates this weird off balance thing...with two buttons you can keep the body close to your own body and it makes it feel much more like an electric). Time to keep my eye out for another long padded or neoprine bass strap in the dicount bin at some music store.

The guy had a Tacoma Thunderchief he let me play too. It had flatwound strings on it (which are more mellow) so it was hard to compare, but I swear it didn't seem any louder.

No comments:

Post a Comment