Friday, March 9, 2012

More Week Nine

So I'd almost given up on week 9...like decided not to turn in anything. I sent the instructor some questions and he sent me a totally canned response that amounted to...practice more. Not helpful.

I think what I've been struggling with in large part is not having good audio examples. The lesson basically shows only a measure or a few of each part of the pattern. I'm sorry...that's just not a long enough loop. And pulling other examples from the world is hard because they invariably have all of the parts together...not in isolation.

Then I found this:





Super great stuff. Just what I needed. And he's also very reassuring about...this is going to take a while to learn.

So I wish I'd found this days ago...but at least I have it now. I think that I'm going to try to learn JUST the bell part and turn that in tonight (going out of town for the weekend). But seeing this makes me feel like it MIGHT be worth revisiting some day...whereas last night I was thinking that I would avoid anything like this forever on.

Maybe I'm just not at the right level for this class...but I don't REALLY think that's true. I think I probably am at a fine level for the class. I just don't think the care is being taken to deal with unfamiliar topics. I thought that the very first week when supposedly they were introducing reading music for the very first time and by the end of the week had us doing a super complicated piece. I already knew how to read, so that wasn't hard for me...but for someone else it would have been ridiculous. And now we're on the things that feel ridiculous to me. And there doesn't seem to be any acknoweldgement of that. To me, if you can already do this stuff...why are you even taking the class? So in that case, it ought to have more consideration of things being hard for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment