Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fundamentals Week 9

So the assignment this week is to make up a drum part for an Afrocuban playalong...and I've pretty much convinced myself that I can't do it because I can't get the key Afrocuban patterns, Bembe and Abakwa:



I just watched the first assignment turned in my one of my classmates. As far as I can tell...he didn't use the patterns AT ALL. He just made up another part. So I'm totally doing that. Flunk me...whatevs...it ain't for credit and this shit is making me sad. Ask a fish to climb a tree and they will feel stupid all their lives. I'm all for challenging myself...but I'm done climbing trees.

On a side note...feeling overwhelmed and stupid after trying to learn those Afrocuban patterns I sat down at the drums and played the actual music that my actual bands play. I haven't been practicing any of it for months because I've been kind of demoralized about drumming in general. I had a great practice session and nailed lots of stuff and totally felt aok. Thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment