Friday, September 14, 2012

Pro vs Weekend Warrior

So I don't know if it is my own low self-esteem or a legitimate view of reality...but despite the fact that I am currently in 6 bands, play out regularly, and do occasionally get paid for it...I don't feel like I am perceived by myself or others as a professional musician.

It isn't the fact of having a day job, I know lots of people who are considered pro who have a day job. It's something else. Level of talent? Well maybe, but I know people who aren't as talented as me who pass for pros. Number of shows played? Nope, cause I know folks who never play shows and still get billed pro. So what IS it?

I think part of it may have to do with my role. I am a support player, not a front person. And somehow, unless you are a session musician, this role gets less credit in the world. And I'm not sure why this is.

I was thinking today about all the local star musicians that I know. Most of them play in ONE band. Most of them are singer-songwriters. And they tend to play the same set over and over. There are exceptions...the folks who play in dozens of bands...but they are in a different kind of category (like a session player). Anyway, I guess I don't see the challenge in playing one set over and over...or the interest. Blah. I couldn't do it. But for sure that makes what you are marketing pretty simple. You get to reinforce over and over. The product is defined and so easy to consume.

I'm not sure my point. I'm not bad mouthing anybody else. I just want to end the personal sense that I'm playing on the B team. I'm doing all I can to improve the skill side of that...but in the end it may be more about perception than reality. And I'm never going to be the person who promotes an image...and the fellow musicians that I seem to gravitate towards aren't either. So I guess we're never going to get anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment