Friday, September 21, 2012

SSW, HNS, 9/20/2012

We played the patio at HNS for happy hour. Cement Pond opened. Later on, the Melvins played inside. There was an article in the paper and everything.

We had the grumpiest of the HN sound guys, but he was better this time, maybe because I had a Sonor kit instead of a Gretsch. Still when I approached him to tell him what our setup was and that I needed a drum vocal mic and RS needed a mic for his small amp he said "Where do you think you are?" like I thought I was the queen or was asking too much. It is hard for me to tell if this is just his sense of humor or what. After the show he informed us that our vocals were clipping throughout. Again I ask...why wouldn't you tell us this as soon as you noticed it so we could correct instead of waiting until afterwards and complaining. I don't get it.

For the record and future reference, the patio PA is 6 channels with no monitors. Normally they'd be able to handle us having 6 mics, but the Melvins had commondeered most of the sound equipment. We were perhaps a little loud as Cathy could hear us from her house. I could hear nothing but my drums and KS's bass...I couldn't hear any vocals...which led me to lose my place a few times, but not badly. Dropped three sticks on I've Been So Mad...not sure why.

The show went ok. I played pretty well. JG and RS couldn't hear their guitars at all which was a factor. We aren't show ready with Mr DNA and I've Been So Mad...both have complicated counting patterns and we just aren't getting them naturally. We should practice them or jettison. I got 2 tacos from Brass Ring for dinner. I had 3 beers before the show, 1 during, and 3 after. And about 4 or 5 waters. I had not intended to drink at all...but I got bored waiting for people to show up and then one thing led to another. But I didn't get drunk at all. For future reference I got there at 4:45pm to set up drums for a 6pm show. The sound guy and opening band did not arrive until around 5:30pm. So don't rush next time.

My kit sounded great and I got several compliments on it from multiple people...including from Cement Pond's drummer, who is a minor local celebrity (formerly of Killdozer) and who said it was nicer than any kit he has ever owned. Someone else asked me if I paid thousands for it...nope...$450 with cases.

It was just a little chilly, but pleasant out. There was a small but serviceable crowd. The Melvins ran people outside during their sound check, so that probably helped us...that and it being the last week of summer.

Amusing side observation: I got there early so I got to see the Melvins load in. They arrived in a Sprinter van and unloaded all of their own stuff. I think it was just the 3 of them plus a merch guy. There might have been one other person, I'm not sure. Anyway...it is just interesting to witness the evolution/devolution of rock stars.  I mentioned this to JG and he said "see we really are all in this together." I'm not sure that's true...but what IS true is that there's less distance between seasoned pros with a following and new upstart bands than ever before.  And any upstart band that wants to really just needs to get dedicated...put in the time.  That means time booking, time promoting, and time touring.

And there's the rub. I think I'd be willing to put in the time, but I have a feeling that most folks that I play with are in a weekend warrior situation...they are more than willing to put in the time playing and perfecting the music...but putting the time in on the business and travel end just isn't either what they want to do or are able to do because of other obligations. In the end I'm probably ok with that...I'm not going to push for it...because I think it is a zero sum gain.  "Making it big" is an illusion these days. All anyone can hope for is to make a living...and probably a slim living at that. This has probably always really been the case...but there used to be that "get signed and make it big" dream. That's gone. You make your own way. It was true then even if the dream was out there...but now it is REALLY true. Cause in the end you could be the Melvins or KeD...but you are still getting in a van, driving around, carrying your shit around, and getting paid probably badly.  All the same...I would like to do a tour...even just for a week...just once to see what it is like.

Setlist:

1. Boscobel
2. Teenaged Kicks
3. We Are the One
4. Political Song
5. One Track Mind
6. Helicopter
7. No Lip
8. Mr DNA
9. Dance 4X
10. Hate and War
11. I Hate the Rich
12. New Rose
13. Too Drunk
14. I Am a Cliché
15. You Drive Me Ape
16. Suspect Device
17. I’ve Been So Mad Lately
18. Fucked Up & Wasted

No comments:

Post a Comment