Monday, January 11, 2010

Female Drummers

I don't really consider myself gender normative, so the whole idea of existing in the world as a female drummer is bizarre to me. I don't think of myself as female (or male for that matter). But I guess that other people perceive me as female and that's how it is. That Kate Schellenbach interview in the previous post about female drummers got me to thinking about how I'm treated.

Mostly I feel like people get excited and think that I "rock" merely because I am "female" and play the drums. This happens at gigs. Women especially come up to me and make a big deal out of it. This annoys me because it means that I can't trust what they say. They have no idea if I'm a good or bad drummer...but they say I'm awesome. I also worry that the men don't evaluate me objectively...I worry it's more of a "that girl isn't bad" pat on the head thing...like the fact that I have the guts to play and don't totally suck means I'm okay. Both are annoying.

I've noticed this wrt to Kim Deal too...people say all the time how much she rocked in the Pixies. But from what I can see...she wasn't much of a bass player. What...just because she's female and picked up a bass she rocks?

There's probably a level of discrimination too...but I'm not sure that I'm aware of it. There are probably guys who wouldn't want to play with me. Certainly I've learned that, because I have a gender neutral name, when I respond to a Craig's List ad the person always assumes I am male. And I kind of like that, because it gets me past the front door...and it shields me from creeps. I know that they aren't planning to rape me and they aren't hoping I'm a hot chick (only to be disappointed that I am fat and masculine)...cause they think I'm a guy.

I think that, once I'm in a band, I assert myself pretty quickly personality wise, so it doesn't seem to be a problem once things fall into place. Usually I forget that I am being perceived as female by the other members once I'm in the band. I feel like one of the guys.

And then there is the concept of the "all girls band." I love the Go Gos...but it is for their music, not their gender. I kind of don't like "all girls bands" and I don't think I'd ever want to be in one...not on purpose anyway. If I happened to start a band with only women in it that's be different. I kind of don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment