Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Turn It Up & Lay It Down

At PASIC I bought the rock edition of Turn It Up & Lay It Down after Ed Shaugnessy about creamed himself with a recommendation in a clinic (ooo...there's a image). The cds feature bass with a click track and sometimes guitar. Each cd is a different style of music. You write your own drum part over the top.

The rock edition ("rock it science") features songs in the style of famous bands...but they are original compositions. So it is really up to you to write the drum parts.

Here's someone playing along to the Blink-182-esque track:


I didn't know if I'd like these or not...but they are pretty cool. I like that there's a click on there, cause it gets me used to hearing a click. And I was really surprised how I knew what to play. It just comes out.

Now, that's probably cause I'm used to rock...but it would probably help a person to feel out a new style too...in your own original way without directly copying someone else.

Anyway, pretty cool stuff. Just another tool in the toolbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment