Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Last Night's Entertainment

Went to two shows last night...The Drain with No and Maybe Game...and So Dang Yang. I know someone, or multiple someone's, in each of the bands...and have played music with someone from each of the bands. My drum instructor is also in So Dang Yang.

It's nice to be able to talk to musicians that you respect as relative equals and to get advice from them. It was also fun to see my instructor in a performance situation...with all of the little things that preoccupy you. Makes me feel normal.

I think there are some small finesse things going on with Johnny Sucrose that are maybe a few months ahead of my playing level...but overall he's not doing anything crazy with the songs. He's mostly laying back and playing the groove. It's mostly stuff that I can do now...but couldn't do a year and a half ago. The ironic thing is that it was only leaving that band that inspired me to try harder and learn more and practice. It sucks to get kicked out of a band, and I genuinely miss playing that music...but it was the best possible thing to happen to me as a drummer. I probably would never have advanced in my skills as quickly if I was still playing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment