Monday, January 11, 2010

Gig, Frequency, Jan 8th w/ The Gomers


I haven't been doing a very good job of organizing gig posts. I think that I might have been trying to hide who I am a bit too much. So here's the start of better tracking.

The show on Friday was the best performance that I've had since the Labor Day show. The only glitch was that I was sharing a kit with The Gomers. I thought I'd have time to adjust it to my liking before starting to play. But the set change was quicker than I'd anticipated, and there was a microphone to be dealt with. So essentially I didn't get a chance to move anything. This was possibly for the best from a gig flow standpoint, since we were switching back and forth between bands. That would have meant three sessions of adjustments. I at least had the fore site to bring my own throne, so that I knew how high I'd sit. This was a major problem at Mickey's. I will always bring my own throne from here on out.

As to the setup, basically, he plays with his snare angled away from him (he plays traditional grip) and with his toms essentially flat. I play with my snare and toms angled towards me. I could live with the toms flat...but the snare meant I kept hitting the rim. I don't mind rim shots, but this was all rim and no head. I tried a quick adjustment, but he had the stand turned so that the angle maxed out...so it couldn't be changed quickly.

We played a 15 minute set and then took a break. Right before our second 15 minute set there was a cartoon showed. The Gomers were done for the night. So during the cartoon I crawled up on stage (under where the cartoon was showing) and turned the snare drum around and adjusted the angle. After that I was pretty golden.

His setup was as follows. Pretty old trashed kit. K series crash:


Even with the set up problems, my playing was excellent. I don't know why, but his snare was really easy to play. Fills came off of it super easily. It was weird. After the show I asked him how he tuned...pretty high with a loose snare. 13 " drum. Don't know why it was so nice.

My right foot too was spot on...which I guess they heard in the green room and complimented. I was like a different person from the last two shows.

The throne was one point of success...but other than that I'm not sure what the difference was. I've been practicing, but I've still been totally inconsistent one day to the next. I tried to rest for a few days before the show (no strenuous exercise on my ankles)...but actually forgot to get enough sleep. We had dress rehearsal 8-9pm the night before the show. It was an early show...6-8pm. I had 3 beers before the gig (more than usual) starting at 5pm...and 1 at set break. All PBRs. I also had two glasses of water. I ate a cheeseburger and fries an hour before the show. We cleared $40 after The Gomers met their "reserve" (whatever that was). Turnout was really good...I'd guess in excess of 50 people (@ $5 a pop...you do the math on the "reserve"). Celebutards MC'ed and did glam makeovers...prizes, cake, promo on radio. Photos by JW, who was my only guest.

Set list:
1. HELICOPTER
2. PART TIME PUNKS
3. BOSCOBEL BREAKOUT
4. YOU STUPID FUCKING LIBERALS
5. THE WAY I LOVE YOU
6. DANCE (4X) TO THE RADIO
7. MANIAC
Set 2
8. WE ARE THE ONE
9. TEENAGE KICKS
10. EVERYBODY'S HAPPY NOWADAYS
11. WARSAW
12. SUSPECT DEVICE
13. FUCKED UP AND WASTED
14. Starman w/ Gomers

Next show Jan 22nd at Mickey's. Also sharing a kit, a really nice one.

No comments:

Post a Comment