Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rick Allen

Hard to believe I haven't touched on Rick Allen yet. He is the one-armed drummer in Def Leppard.


Born 1963, started drums 1968, joined band 1978, lost left arm 1984. That's the summary. He now uses custom drums that are a combo of acoustic and electric.

Def Leppard has a special place in my heart. In, I believe, December of 1987 I was invited, at the last minute to a Def Leppard/Tesla concert by the girl I was in love with (she was not in love with me) and three of her male friends. That night I got a little crush on one of the three boys...mainly because he acted responsible. We held hands at the concert. Not long after the concert he and his buddy left for the army. I led a pretty sheltered life as a child, and this show was one of only three that I went to in high school. It was certainly the wildest of the three as well. It was a night to go down in infamy.

After that I bought Hysteria and Telsa's Mechanical Resonance and became a soft-core metal-head poser for a while.

Don't know that I've got much to say about Allen's style.

Pour Some Sugar on Me

No comments:

Post a Comment