Friday, June 11, 2010

Bossa Nova: Update

Ok, I hesitate to say this...but I think I got the Bossa Nova. It isn't burned into my brain flawlessly yet, but I played it several times in a row last night.

And yeah...it was totally like one moment it was impossible and the next something in my brain just clicked and went "ohhh...I get it now." Which doesn't mean it's perfect now, but at least it makes sense to me on some level.

This is what I call "breaking my brain."

I have to remind myself of the magic of the drums and not forsake them. And the main magic about them is this breaking of the brain thing. I think that humans break their brains all the time, but nothing stands out so strongly in this respect to me than playing drums.

Really what I'm talking about is rubbing your tummy and patting your head...on steriods. Take each limb that you have and make it do something different. Now carry on a conversation while your doing all that and don't mess up any of the patterns. It's hard. What tends to happen is that one or more of your limbs either stops what it is doing...or it starts copying what one of the other limbs is doing. You have to get to a weird point of muscle memory...and unconscious action...but still stay conscious of what you're doing...in order to do it all at once. Literally you gotta break your brain. And that's just so cool.

And one minute it's impossible...and the next easy as pie. It's magic. Total magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment