Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bossa Nova

I've been trying to learn the bossa nova for over a year now. Trying is probably the wrong word...wishing perhaps. I bang at it for a week, get discouraged, and set it aside. It's a mental block. There's something that hasn't clicked for me yet. There's a switch I've got to flip...and once it has flipped it will be easy as pie. For now it feels impossible, though.

I spent yesterday scouring the web for help. I was pretty unimpressed with what's out there. For one thing, I don't seem to be able to find an agreed upon figure. It varies in how it is played and how it is notated. Which is confusing.

I can play the high hat and snare together...and I can play the bass and high hat together. But I can't play the snare and bass together...never mind all three together. I know that I just have to keep slowing it down and deconstructing it...but I can't help but feel like there's some secret that I'm missing. Some key that would make me go "Ohhhhh...I get it now." Alas...I solider on.

No comments:

Post a Comment