Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Pipe Band Practice

Went to Pipe and Drum practice last night.

The drums play the same thing for all songs in the same time signature for the most part. Parts are here. The exception is that they also do a competition medley, and those parts vary a bit.

They use special sticks...like these. They are SUPER light weight and really well balanced/weighted. I haven't tried playing with them yet, but compared to rock sticks they are going to seem super easy to play with.

Which I guess is required cause you're playing lots of 32nd notes, fast rolls, buzz rolls, and triplets. It's all too hard for me at the moment. But with practice I'm sure I could master it. And after that it's gonna seem really boring.

The years in the contra dance band will serve me well here...it's all scots/irish music and that's what we played back in the day. So all the traditional styles...jigs, hornpipes, etc.

They were pretty welcoming. Not over the top, but appropriately so. Pretty no nonsense.

I'm gonna give it a go and see how long it lasts before I get frustrated or...eventually if I work past the frustration...bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment