Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Update on SDY

I haven't gotten a "call back" yet. I didn't go to their show on Monday either...just feeling too bad after my lesson.

Ultimately, I don't know if I want to try to do this anymore. I like the music and I feel like I can play it at a basic level. But I don't know if I'm at a place where I could go off script and be great with this band. And, since I've learned most of the songs now...it might actually be kind of boring. They also don't seem to practice anymore (they used to) so I think I'd be on my own. Which kind of sucks for getting better...but also just isn't what I'm in it for. I'm in it for playing more frequently than a once a month performance.

Plus I feel like I need to strengthen my drum and bass practice for the two existing bands...and on fundamentals. I've learned a great deal from learning the SDY songs...and maybe as I played them more I'd learn even more...but maybe I'm done with it.

I'm not sure what I'll do at this point if he ever contacts me again. I feel like it is a great opportunity to play with some real pros...but I also feel like a poser. And like I've got plenty of other things to work on that cause less stress.

I don't know why I feel compelled to add a third band, but I do. I probably shouldn't. I really would like to play in a 70s cover band (to learn to "play big rock") or in a pop/punk/new wave/80s/90s/indie band (for the pure joy of it). SDY is neither of those things. (Note: I don't consider the Pipe band "adding a third band"...though I guess that I should. That feels more like learning patterns...which I ought to be doing as part of basic drum practice anyway).

Oh well. Maybe if I ignore the decision it will be taken out of my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment