Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lessons Week 74

Two more lessons to go.

We went over a couple of groups...among them Medeski Martin and Wood. He's starting to repeat himself. That's ok though, cause last time he brought them up I couldn't play the song. Now I can. It's nice to see that I'm improving.

He talked some about playing over the bar. This is kind of a jazz/prog thing. I don't so much think it is useful for the kind of music that I want to play...but it is a useful skill in that it reveals an underlying sense of feel. In other words, I guess it's something that I'd like to be able to do because it would mean that I had a real grasp on what I was playing...that I wasn't about to lose it at any moment.

I feel like learning the SDY songs and also working on the fill exercises has really helped bring me along to a new place. It's subtle, but I feel more confident and can do things that I couldn't do a few months ago. It seems like I'm coming more into "feel" and less into "math". We'll see. It's just a glimmer...but it's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment