Monday, November 16, 2009

Clem Burke and Heart of Glass

On the ride home from PASIC I heard Blonde's Heart of Glass on the radio and thought I'd try to learn it when I got home,

Clem Burke was the drummer for Blondie.

Listening to the Blondie greatest hits cd that I picked up cheap at a garage sale recently, I noticed that he's playing 4 on the floor most of the time (on all of the tunes) with an off beat high hat (on the "ands). It's almost a reggae...rock steady I guess...feel. It isn't that hard, but it's stuff that I suck at, so it's actually good stuff for me to work on.

The embedding on the videos seem to have been disabled for every version of the original video, but you can see it here. Here's a live version from 1982:

And in 1998 (on Jules Holland's show):

And with bad audio from the 30th anniversary tour:


Basically, what I make out, is that it is 4 bass on the floor, snare on 2 and 4, and high hats on the ands of 1, 2, 3, 4. On the ands of 1 and 3 the high hat is open in the first measure of the phrase...and open on the 1, 2, 3 of the second measure of the phrase. Then in the chorus the high hat (or ride) goes to 1 2+ 3 4+...sometimes with an open high hat and sometimes not (not sure if it is always the high hat, or if he switches to the ride sometimes...from the 1998 video it looks like he stays on the high hat but in the 30th anniversary tape he goes to the ride). There are some simple snare fills or crashes in the logical places. And there's a place where the crash anticipates a bit early in the instrumental portion. There's a little bridge kind of thing where she sings "Oooo" that has open hats on every "and."

No comments:

Post a Comment