Monday, November 23, 2009

The Ocean

Here's the video that I was refering to in the last post. There are ways to post with privacy settings on Youtube, it turns out, but they make it hard to link to the video. So I've made it public, I just have made it hard to find and have turned off all commenting, etc.


Some notes on the song and performance: For a long time I was playing along with the sheet music for this tune. Last week I stopped using the sheet music. So this recording is just by memory, so there are mistakes for that reason. And I'm not what I'd call "done learning" this tune. I'm getting there, but it isn't polished yet. A big part of why I wanted to record this (besides testing recording in general) was to see whether or not I'm actually playing the, I think 32nd notes. I'm trying to play them, but they go by so fast that I can never tell if I get them or not. It looks like I'm getting them sometimes and sometimes not. At 52-53 seconds there seems to be a correct execution.

Some notes on the recording: Interestingly, the video was "lighter" on the screen of the camera. Here it seems dark and you can't really see the beater. I would like to experiment with a movie editor and see if I can get a foot view like this on half of a screen and a hands view on the other half and manage to sink them up in time. Ideally, I'd dub the original recording of the tune over the top too. I think that'd be the ultimate drum educational style. It's a project to work on anyway...cause I don't know that I'm ever going to be in a position to pull off performances worthy of educational videos anyway.

UPDATE: Spent some time with Windows Movie Maker and figured out how to synch up overdubbed music with the video and how to do a split screen of two images (which required a hack that doesn't come with the basic software, but the internet was, as always, quite helpful). I also was able to lighten the video. I'm not bothering to repost until I have a finished version, which may involve re-recording after I learn the song better.

No comments:

Post a Comment