Monday, November 2, 2009

Modern Drummer

I know that drum magazines are really just a vehicle for selling expensive equipment and albums, but I love reading magazines and I love drumming...so it makes sense that I would enjoy drum magazines. And I have found it really nice to be exposed to all kinds of drummers that I've never heard of and to hear what their process has been. There's cool exercises too.

This summer I decided to subscribe to a drumming magazine. I chose Drum! because:
1. It was cheaper ($19 versus about $36 for MD)
2. It seemed cooler
3. I hate the title "Modern Drummer" and the font they use for their title (note, this seems to have improved)

There are other drum magazines around, but these were the two biggies and the ones that seemed most applicable to my interest in American rock music. Others are Downbeat (jazz), Traps (which I think is defunct), Classic Drummer(formerly Vintage Drummer), Drum Connextions (from NZ), Not So Modern Drummer, Rhythm (from UK), Sick Drummer (metal), and Drum Head. Tiger Bill keeps track of mags here, including some that are only online.

Since my Drum! subscription began I have found that I read them, cover to cover, really quickly...and then start craving more material. So I've been buying Modern Drummer off the newstand for a few months now.

Modern Drummer came out with a screaming $29 deal that includes some digital thing and two cds...so last night I caved and subscribed to it too.

Now I wonder how long it will be before I start buying a third magazine off the newstand...(Drum Head the next logical candidate)

No comments:

Post a Comment