Monday, November 30, 2009

Nick Mason

I've never been a Pink Floyd fan. I took no notice of them at all until my freshman year of college when my boyfriend was a PF fanatic. He forced me to attend a PF laser show. Since then, I've again slipped into total apathy bordering on dislike.

I've collected most of the drum playalong book/cds from Alfred and Hal Leonard now. Amongst those I've not gotten...Pink Floyd. I was relatively convinced that I'd never want it.

The way I was convinced I'd never want the Rush book (got it now).

On the drive home from the holidays I heard a PF song on the radio. It was actually a cover of PF done by Korn. The drums were kind of interesting. I don't know if the drum part was actually original to PF...or new to Korn. In any case, it brings both bands onto my radar (the cover was Another Brick in the Wall. For comparison here is the Pink Floyd version).

Nick Mason...the only constant original member of Pink Floyd.

Now I find it kind of irritating/odd that none of the stuff online about him says much about his drum style or ability. That's often true of the artists I look up. It particularly bugs me about Drummerworld. Tell me something about the man's abilities! Alas, maybe they figure it is self evident and that everyone knows Pink Floyd's sound. But when I read a bio about a drummer I want to know the following:
1. When did they start playing?
2. What has their training been>? (did they take lessons? play in drum corps? go to music school? self taught?)
3. What is their history playing with bands? And discography.
4. What is their style and/or contribution to the music world? Anything unique or different? Anything iconic about them?

I didn't get much of any of that answered about Mason.

Rarely do I actually care what kind of drums they play, what heads, what sticks, what cymbals, etc. Or what their hobbies are outside of music...family, etc.

One of These Days (loses a stick, though recovering from a stick drop isn't really that hard...but it is fun to see)


Comfortably Numb

No comments:

Post a Comment