Monday, November 23, 2009

Recording Myself

Having trouble getting motivated to practice, ironically, since PASIC. This week won't be much better as I'll be away from the kit for five days for the holiday. The sweetie suggested that I bring the kit with me, but that's just crazy talk. Clearly she doesn't know how lazy I am. I'll bring along the sticks and practice pad, and maybe even a foot pedal...but odds are that I won't touch the things.

I suppose it only stands to figure that my enthusiasm would wax and wane. I've had pretty solid motivation for nearly a year now, and that's a long damn time.

I DID finally manage to video myself playing on Sunday. I've been meaning to do this for some time. Sunday was mostly a test run of locations for the camera, and the results aren't really ready for prime time. I wasn't recording a "finished" song, just recording practice. I was kind of horrified with the results, my tempos are all over the place and the tone is terrible. Some of that may be the camera, but most of it is me. Still, it made me realize what a useful tool recording (sound and/or video) myself could be. Do I really bury the beater like that? Am I really that all over the place with tempos? Huh.

So much work to be done.

I'm going to experiment a bit to see if there is a way to get videos I take of myself hosted on the internet without making them open to the whole world to view on YouTube. I don't need the nasty feedback that happens there ("dude your snare sounds like shit" kind of thing). I WOULD like to be able to post them in this venue for my own edification, though. One solution may be to post them to YouTube with obscure, unsearchable, titles. So that the only way someone would find them is by mistake. And maybe I can turn off comments. Research...

No comments:

Post a Comment