Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Andy Sturmer

(originally posted 1/26/09)
Andy Sturmer (Jellyfish)

Here's a good example of a band that I love...which I had no idea was headed up by the drummer.

Bellybutton was one of those 120 Minutes inspired cds that I picked up the summers of 1990/1991. It is a great disk. One of the things that I like best about it is that many of the songs are in my vocal range. This led to me covering "Baby's Coming Back" with Pants del Fwego. My recent reunion with PM from grade school has brought Jellyfish back to the front of my mind.

Here's a live version of the song:

I found another video where Sturmer totally biffs the lyrics and starts the song with the lyrics from the second verse. Pretty funny...and sad.

What I take away from this video is that I really ought to be able to play this song and sing it at the same time. Hell, this guy is doing it standing up!

There are alot of good live videos where you can see him drumming really well...I guess that's what happens when you put the drummer at the front of the stage. Here's "Man I Used to Be":


He seems to be part of an Electric Light Orchestra "tribute band" now (tribute, not cover)...which seems about right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment