Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gilson Lavis

On the way home from work I listened to Squeeze, Singles (I also shared another bus ride with the lion...but it was less excrutiating this time...who knows, maybe I'm getting over it). During my new 40 minute practice routine tonight (which is more like 30 minutes of practice and then however much screwing around I want to do afterwards), "Another Nail in My Heart" struck me as the kind of song that would be really good to bring to an instructor and say "teach me how to play this really well". It seems simple on the surface...but it was actually pretty hard. I'm no where near getting it.

Practice tonight was actually kind of demoralizing...but I guess that's the reality of it. The 10 minute time frames really helped. No matter how stupid something makes you feel...10 minutes passes fast. But 10 minutes EVERY DAY has got to equal progress at some point...and likely sooner than later.

Gilson Lavis (Squeeze)

Here's a story about Lavis.

Another Nail in My Heart




You know...it strikes me that this series on drummers, purged of all the personal bullshit references, would be a really good thing to post on dane101 as a reoccuring column. Something to consider if I am able to keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment