Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mike Baird

(from 3/9/09)
It's a sad but true fact that the drummer isn't always considered the most important part of a band. Ironically, the drummer probably IS the most important part. But, when it comes to fame and fortune, it is rarely the drummer that is front and center. My little project to uncover the names and histories of the drummers that have influenced my life has revealed that there is often a revolving door on the drum throne...or that the part is filled by nameless/faceless studio musicians.

A case in point: Mike Baird

I came across Baird's name while trying to find out who recorded the drum part for "I've Done Everything for You" by Rick Springfield. I'm still not certain Baird did it...but he was featured on the album "Working Class Dog" in any case.

The guy is clearly very successful and a great drummer. His playing is ubiquitous. And for that reason...he's hard to nail down. He blends into the background and you don't notice him.

Here's a rare moment in the sun for the man who certainly deserves more, a drum solo on Journey's "Raised on the Radio" in 1986 (with Randy Jackson on bass):


Side note: During this exercise I learned that "I've Done Everything for You" is actually a cover of a Sammy Hagar song. Totally weird.

2 comments:

  1. I saw Mike on tour with Journey and then Rick Springfield in the 80's. Mike is one of, if not THE best, rock drummers you will ever see. Sounds like things are about to break, the pocket is soooo deep.

    ReplyDelete