Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Keith Moon

(from 5/29/09. Editor's note: in the 5 months since writing this my opinion about Keith Moon hasn't changed much, though I can see where it might be fun to occasionally play one of his songs)

As long as I'm posting about important drummers that I don't care about...let's get Keith Moon (The Who) done with too.

Here's a little video about Moon with drum solo:


Moon seems famous for not really using high hats and for playing a double bass drum. Lots of toms and cymbal noise.

Is it worth mentioning that both Keith Moon and Jon Bonham died of alcoholism-related issues?

The one reassuring thing about looking into different famous and not-so-famous drummers is that I'm realizing that I DO actually have preferences where these things are concerned. I'm drawn to certain sounds and repulsed by others. And, in general, the ones that I'm drawn to seem like attainable goals. I'll never be Keith Moon or Jon Bonham...but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be. It is very reassuring to be able to cross things off my list...jazz (no), double bass pedal (no), etc, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment