Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tyler Stewart

(originally posted 1/7/09)
I mentioned him before, but didn't give him his due.

Tyler Stewart (Barenaked Ladies)

The wiki article linked to above is valuable, because it tells me that he has a background in drum corps. This is important because I have no such background and therefore am light-years behind him in terms of technique and fundamentals. This should not discourage me from learning from him (quite the opposite) but I should try not to be too hard on myself if his parts don't come easily.

This morning's music was BNL...half a dozen albums on shuffle (shuffle is my new favorite thing even though I used to hate it). The song "Peterborough And The Kawarthas" from Barenaked Ladies Are Men (a song I would normally skip when listening to the album in order) has an interesting drum part...different. You can hear the recording on Last FM here...or watch a video or three. In this one you can actually partially see Stewart (a rarity in band performance videos...and just what my purpose is becoming in searching out videos...I'll get this format down soon enough):

No comments:

Post a Comment