Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stewart Copeland

(from 5/29/09)
Okay, I wasn't going to do three in a row, but I might as well dispatch Stewart Copeland too.

Dispatch is too strong a word...because I think it will take me longer to determine how useful Copeland is to me.

Here's a quote from the Wiki:
Copeland is known for his precise, energetic, and creative rock drumming along with a reggae and jazz influenced style. His distinctive sound centers on a hard, high-pitched crack on a snare drum or rimshot, subtle hi-hat work with understated flourishes, while often playing only hi-hat with bass drum. Copeland is a master of the syncopated beat, and his distinct approach consolidates his position as an important drummer on the world stage, subsequently influencing generations of drummers. His credit on Curved Air's Airborne album was "Heavy Artillery" rather than "drums."

Copeland is also noted for his heavy emphasis on the groove as a complement to the song, rather than displays of technical prowess. He once drove this point home at a drum clinic: Copeland announced that he would show the audience something "that very few modern drummers can do," and proceeded to play a simple rock beat for two minutes. Nonetheless, his playing often incorporates spectacular fills and subtle inflections which greatly augment the groove. Compared to most of his 1980s contemporaries, Copeland's snare sound was very bright and cutting. Another novelty was his use of splash cymbals. He also is one of the few rock drummers using the traditional grip rather than the matched grip.


I like that joke about drummers not being able to hold a groove. It may be the only thing I'm good at. And I do luvs me some splash cymbals. So I'll need to spend some time with Copeland and see what he's about. I've certainly listened to and enjoyed his drumming for years unconsciously.

Roxanne:

No comments:

Post a Comment