Monday, October 26, 2009

In Search of the Perfect Cymbal

The search for the perfect cymbal continues. It isn't as pleasant as you might expect. Painful, really. As someone who doesn't like the sound of cymbals there's really nothing worse than having to listen to hundreds of cymbals and try to pick the one that I find least distasteful.

I did determine that the 16 inch Paiste 2000 blue color sound that RD sold me for $25 is actually a very high quality and well regarded cymbal. I don't know if he knew that or not. So that's a keeper.

I also noted that my high hats, which I've been abivalent about, are 14 inch Zildjian Scimitar. Wiki says these were a mid to upper level line of sheet bronze. I think 90% of why I don't always like them is that I usually play on fluffy carpet and it is impossible to get a good response from the hats. I should take better notice at gigs as to whether the hats are more to my liking. I borrowed some Avedis hats and they don't seem any better...so I think it has alot to do with my floor.

I'm pretty happy with my ride, which is a 402 Paiste Ride/Crash. I know that isn't a great model, but it is fine for me for now.

Which leads me back to the cymbal I am searching for...something with a longer sustain and slightly lower tone than my ZXT Titanium 10 inch flash splash (which I love, but am realizing just really isn't appropriate to use as my primary "crash" cymbal)...but not as low and long as the 16 inch colorsound (which I'm keeping as my secondary crash).

I haven't decided whether to go with a large splash...or a small crash. The contenders to date (in no particular order):

-Zildjian 12 inch A Custom REzo Splash
-Sabian 12 inch HHX Splash (unfinished bell)
-Sabian 12 inch AA Splash

The above three I've listened to in the store and liked...but that was when I was still worried about cost and had not yet extended my search to crashes.

Other new contenders:
-Sabian 14 or 15 inch HHX Studio Crash Cymbal (unfinished bell)
-Sabian 14 or 15 inch HH Series Thin Crash Cymbal (unfinished bell)
-Zildjian 14 or 15 inch K Custom Fast Crash Cymbal

There are whole lines of Sabian AAX, Zildjian K, Zildjian K Custom, Zildjian A, Zildjian A Custom that I could also look at...but so far nothing is jumping out at me. If I am at a store that has them, I'll compare there.

I've kind of abandoned looking at Paiste, Meinl, or any of the other brands. Many of them can be hard to find, and I want to try out the final candidate in person. And it just seems like most people play Zildjian. I don't know if that is because they are better or if it is because they have better marketing and distribution. I'd go with Zildjian, except I really seem to be leaning towards the sound of the Sabians. That argues for opening myself up to other brands too...but I just can't stand the sea of availability. I want to narrow the choices, not expand them.

I think that the next step is to take my existing cymbals to a music store and put them on a kit in the store and test out the candidate cymbals against the existing cymbals. This is a little bit of an awkward enterprise, but it is really the only way to know if what I'm getting fits in with the kit. I'm probably best off doing this at Woodwind Brasswind in South Bend, because they are the most hands off music store (to a fault) that I've ever been to. And they have a semi-private cymbal room with test kits. Doing the same thing in Guitar Center would be a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment