Friday, October 30, 2009

On Thursday I completely reconfigued my cymbals to see how moving things around sounded. I added the 16" Zildijian Avedis crash that I borrowed from Pants and shifted the Colorsound to the primary crash position instead of my splash. I couldn't take it. Too loud for too long! It then occurred to me that I could use one of Pant's straight stands and add my splash back in to the mix. I haven't tried playing like this yet...but it gives the option of choosing either crash or splash depending on the song. I do still think that I'd like a medium sustain crash/splash, though.

I have to say, though, listenting to Survival, Evasion, and Escape this morning, the splash really doesn't sound too goofy...though given the totally goofy environemnt of that record, it probably isn't a good test. I'm thinking about recording some songs played both ways (once with splash and once with crash) and seeing how they sound played back. I think I may have a distorted "view" from the throne.

At the music store yesterday I found an interesting new option...13 inch Sabian AA EL Sabor Salsa Splash. It was thicker and larger than the average splash, with slightly turned up edges. Supposedly it is for latin/jazz...but I kind of liked it. Good price too.

No comments:

Post a Comment