Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tre Cool

(from 7/6/09)
I never paid much attention to Green Day. I knew they existed and I vaguely knew what they sounded like. I knew that they were "good." Better than average. But for some reason, I just never paid much attention.

A few months ago my drum instructor told me that "Dookie" was a really good album, and he started teaching me "When I Come Around". I bought the disk, and not long after, a play-along booklet for drums of Green Day's greatest hits.

I sat down with it for the first time pretty seriously this weekend. It seems hard at first, but once you get the pattern down, it isn't so bad. The drummer has a very definite style, and it is just a matter and getting that style. It is a style I like and that highlights bass drum independence, which is something I really want to work on. He's also pretty sparse on the crash cymbals, and that's what I prefer. I banged out "Longview" in no time...and I'm on my way to getting "Basket Case" down. Once I get "Basket Case," I think "When I Come Around" will come easier.

So here he is...Tre Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment