Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Travis Barker

(from 9/3/09)
It's interesting and weird the musical groups that I know about and don't know about. I paid alot of attention to alternative pop in the late 1980s and early 1990s...but after that lost track. I also am aware of some 70s music...mostly radio rock and pop....because I had teenaged brothers at the time.

I recently "discovered" Green Day, which lead to looking into Blink 182, which I'd been lead to believe was the same genre. Last night I read an interview with drummer Travis Barker. And today I finally took a listen to their tunes.

Last week I almost bought their drum tab book, but decided against it when, looking at the music, it didn't seem that hard. I figured I might as well just give the tunes a listen and, if I liked them, learn them by ear.

So far, I like their music, but...yeah...the drums aren't anything complicated, though he seems to have a solid technical background. Maybe after I give more of a listen I'll think differently. Maybe he's respecting those spaces.

UPDATE: Just saw that Barker's best friend died of an overdose this week, DJ AM.The guy apparently made $3.5 million per year. How does that HAPPEN that a DJ makes $3.5 million a year???? I clearly do not understand commerce.

No comments:

Post a Comment