Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Charlie Watts

Continuing to try and come up with the names of iconic drummers who may have influenced me or who could influence me in the future...

Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)

After the show that The Lollards played at Electric Earth a few years ago CSF and another fellow that worked with MF came up to me, shitfaced drunk (which is not a particular surprise) and announced, many, many times that my drumming reminded them of Charlie Watts. At the time I really didn't know what to make of that...what it meant. I think that they meant it as a complement...but now, after having asked around, I think it was an insult. I think what it meant was that I was a simple drummer...and not necessarily in a good way. Given, though, that show was on Friday, January 26, 2007...I don't feel too bad. I purchased my drums over xmas/New Year's break January 2006...prior to which I knew nothing about playing drums. So to be compared to Charlie Watts, even as a slight, just about exactly one year after the first time I put sticks to heads...I guess that isn't bad.

Here's a picture of that show:


This morning on my way to work I listened to The Stone's Let It Bleed. It is my favorite one of their records (and the cover art is awesome). Ironic that I would pick this morning to listen to this, I guess (see previous post). I listened to it on shuffle...which allowed me to get out of pre-conceived notions a bit. Yes, Watts is basic. But it works. Anything more might have over-shadowed the work. What's more...if you listen close, it isn't as basic as it sounds at first. Case in point, the song "Let It Bleed." I could play that beat no problem...at least something that approximates that beat and that 75% of people would identify as that beat. But he's doing something more complicated than what it seems on the surface. I really need to slow it down and dissect it. It will take some practice to master exactly. In particular the thing that is so subtle and interesting is a buzz sound on the snare hits. He's bouncing the stick ever-so-much. I don't/can't do that yet.

This performance isn't the same as the recording...but here's a video of the song anyway if you don't know it:


And...courtesy of Playlist...here is the recording that I listened to this morning and of which I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment